Saturday, February 25, 2006

Medea's Family Reunion....And They Lived Happily Ever After????

I recently saw Tyler Perry's movie 'Medea's Family Reunion' with a group of friends. Now, I love Tyler Perry - I love his positivity, his Christ-centeredness and his overall enthusiasm, dedication and perseverance in the entertainment business. And I appreciate the fact that he is bringing black movies to diverse audiences. Having seen two Tyler Perry movies (Medea's Family Reunion and 'Diary of a Mad Black Woman'), however, I find myself struggling with the fairy-tale like quality of his storytelling. The main character (a young woman) usually finds herself in a physically abusive relationship, with a monster-like creature devoid of any compassion or remorse. She finds her inner strength, leaves this man and goes on to live happily ever after, hopefully with a good-looking, single, 'perfect' black man (at least in the case of Diary of a Mad Black Woman). Now, I like a happy ending as much as the next girl (and it doesn't hurt that the men in Tyler Perry's movies are so fine), but I feel these story lines need a serious infusion of gray areas. His movies are clearly delineated in black and white. Here are the bad guys - as evidenced by physical abuse, manipulation and treachery - and here are the good guys - marked by characteristics such as purity of heart, total transparency and Christ-centeredness. I love you, Mr. Perry, but can we have a character that has a little more depth? One who is bad and good and everything in between? Can we have a love story that doesn't end with 'happily ever after', but 'they had a good relationship with some flaws?' Just a thought...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl,
I loved both of Tyler Perry's movies.. If we wanted realism we would not go to the movies. In fact, movies exist to take us out of reality. But in saying that I am so glad that Tyler Perry is showing that african americans can have strong, loving relationships based on respect. I love it, love it.. Thanks Tyler

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying - I have a friend who pretty much told me the same thing: movies ain't supposed to be for real! It just seems like it's taking me a little longer to get that particular message :)

Anonymous said...

well, that particular view didnt even come to mind after i saw the movie. ive been in a bad relationship for 5 years- and on the contrary that movie didnt take me out of reality, it brought me into reality..WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE! And i believe that there is a man like that out there for me- because i deserve it! i also have two children from two different fathers- so that movie really encouraged me-