Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Fasting For Lent

Did you give up anything to celebrate this past Lenten season? I'm curious about what other Christians are doing to mark this celebration.

Every year (since I've become a practicing Christian), I am faced with the challenge of how to mark or celebrate the Lenten season. Though I am a Baptist by denomination (and Baptists don't typically don't celebrate Lent), I am moved by the thought of using the Lenten season to remember the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us on the cross.

For background, Lent is the 40-day period prior to Easter Sunday (excluding Sundays). The period of 40 days is representive of the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness, being tempted by Satan. During that time, he fasted. During Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness, Satan tempted him with all kinds of things - wealth, power and authority - if Jesus would bow down and worship him. Jesus refused and resisted everything the devil offered - because he knew the real deal - there was only one true God, and Satan wasn't Him. And, furthermore, that Satan didn't truly have the power to give Jesus all those things he was promising - all things belong to God and Him alone.

(A good article on Lent can be found here.)

So, it is very easy to draw the analogy between what Jesus did (resisting evil) and our ongoing battle to resist temptation. And to incorporate fasting - which is what people do during this season - fast, or 'give up' certain items, as a means of following in Jesus's footsteps. A time to become closer to God and reflect on who He is and what He has done for us.

So how was your Lenten season? Any thoughts on how Lent should be celebrated?



, , , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to fast, but the only thing I ended up fasting from was fasting. Sometimes I can be so weak.

T.H.

T.H. said...

I just wanted to let you know that thanks in part to your positive feedback I’ve decided to start my own blog called “the barber shop.” I know it’s not an original name but I’ll try to keep the content fresh. If you don’t mind I’d like to add a link to your site.

Anonymous said...

T.H. -

That is awesome! I am so happy you made this decision. I feel it is so important that, as Christians, we speak up and tell the truth. I feel your voice will be invaluable in the blogosphere and I can't wait to read your first posting! I see that you have already set your blog up and I will be visiting and particpating often. I would be honored if you listed me on your blog and I will add you to my blog listings as well :)

Be Blessed!

ms mimi the mocha soulchild said...

I gave up fast food, and I always find that you become surprised about how much you can do with less!

Mathilde said...

Please visit my blog http://fastforgod.wordpress.com/